Tuesday 9 December 2008

Witherington Farm Teams of 4- 6/12/08

Saturday 6th December saw me heading to Witherington Farm for the teams of 4 winter league. This is a venue that I have only recently started fishing, despite living in Salisbury for over a year since graduating last summer. I have already fished two rounds on Sellwood,and found myself on there again for this round. Our team 'Total-Fishing.com' were in 5th place out of 8 teams going into this round,mainly due to the fact that we haven't had the same team twice so it has been hard to develop any continuity and understanding. I arrived at the venue at around 8 o'clock to find that despite a sharp frost the lakes were ice-free. Our drawer-master extraordinaire 'Nicky-the-Bricky' drew the pegs,placing me on Sellwood peg 1- in the corner next to the areator. Not a peg I would have chosen as I don't like being 'hemmed in' in corners,especially during the winter. Nonetheless fish have fins and all that, and I tried to approach the peg with a degree of optimism. I opted for a three-pronged approach- a pellet line at 13m, a corn line at 14.5m slightly to my right and a lead swim towards the island. I found a slight hole around 3 inches deeper than everywhere else for my pellet line at 10 oclock. The rig consisted of a 4x12 KC carpa chimp,with 0.14 silk shock to 0.12 silk shock hooklength and a 18b911. The Corn rig was the same set up but was around 6 inches shallower so a separate rig was assembled. Both rigs used a number 10 latex. The lead rig consisted of a preston carbonactive 10ft rod,Daiwa TDR reel loaded with 8lb matchwinner to a 12-inch 0.18 silkshock hooklength and an 18 PR36 with a pellet band hair-rig. The match started at 10am and I cupped around 30 micro pellets and six dead maggots at 13m, with 30 grains of corn going in at 14.5m,as I planned to completely leave this line for atleast the first three hours. Out went the lead rig with double corn to the island,but without even so much as a liner after 30 mins I brought it in and cast out with a pellet cone this time to see if that would spark a response. 30 mins on this and still without a liner I brought in and put on a 2ft hooklength of 0.14 to a 20 hook and double maggot and cast towards the island again. By this stage one or two fish had come out,but the three of us on my bank had not had a bite between us. Another 30 mins on the lead and without a bite it was time to look on the pole line. Baiting up with a single 4mm expander I expected to catch as there are lots of skimmers to go at in Sellwood,but despite 10 mins of lifting and dropping I was still biteless. In went another 10 micro pellets and three dead maggots and it was back on the tip. This time I changed to an 0.10 hooklength and lengthened it to 2ft, and put on a small drennan maggot feeder. In went 6 maggots and after around 5 minutes I had a tentative pluck on the tip,which I struck at and was relieved to feel a fish on the end. It was a small skimmer around 8oz but it got me off the mark and put me ahead of the four remaining anglers blanking. It proved to be a false dawn however, as no more bites were forthcoming,despite regualrly ringing the changes. By now the bloke on peg 15 had caught 3 decent carp on the lead and double corn,and the guy at the opposite side of the lake on peg 9 was catching small skimmers one a chuck and also had a bonus carp. The two guys to my right were still biteless,and it was clear there were very few fish in front of us. Around 3 and a half hours in the guy to my right had a micro perch at 3m,so had also avoided the blank-leaving just the chap on peg 4 without a fish. The remainder of the match was spent going through the motions,and I failed to even get a bit on either pole line. I had two more skimmers in the last hour on the tip and double corn but never felt there were carp in front of me. The all out was called and I was glad it was over, although being on peg 1 I had the joy of conducting the weigh-in. After packing up in double quick time I went to see how team-mate Nick had done on cottage 15,and he reckoned he was around half way in his section. My 3 skimmers went 2lb exactly. The chap to my right had some proper skimmers show up on his pole line in the last 20mins,and caught 5 fish for 9lb odd! The guy on peg 4 managed a single skimmer for 1lb. The weights got progressively better as we went round the lake. Kev (dont know his surname) won the lake from peg 15 with 6 carp on the lead and corn for 37lb. I came a very disapointing 7th in the 8 peg section,so all in all a day to forget!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good read Gareth.

Ever thought of loining in with the Withy TF weekends we have. Not sure when the next one is usually two, one May one September.

My best
Nick Palmer - Real Ideas

Anonymous said...

I earlier comment meant to put 'joining'.....


....no English degree obviously lol

Gareth said...

Hi Nick,I spoke with Nicky about this on the weekend. I will almost certainly be fishing the Stev Ramsay memorial in 2009. I was at this years and sat behind Pete Bailey on Day 1,but unfortunately had a summer league match on the Sunday so couldn't make it

Anonymous said...

Nice one Gareth. You will have to have a night out with the lads. We tend to go for it a bit but even if you are not a drinker the crack and the company is good.

Have you seen my Blog?

It is more of a marketing one I'm afraid but trying to enlighten anglers to the Mk2 Clever Claw.

I am also on a one man 'crusade' to stop anglers getting conned into buying the poor connectors. I really hate to see them getting conned.

Again good Blog and look forward to meeting you in the future.