Sunday 1 February 2009

Whinwhistle Winter Leage- round 6

Well after yesterday's win at Witherington Farm I was raring to go for today's winter league at Whinwhistle. I arrived at the fishery at just after 8 and after paying my pools started chatting to a few of the lads and one thing was clear- nobody wanted to draw the dreaded Rail Lake! To say the fishing has been hard on there of late is an understatement. Into the bag went my hand and out came.....Rail 14! I can honestly say I've never been more gutted with a draw. Not only had I drawn the worst lake I had also drawn one of the two worst pegs on there. It turned out there was a bit of a cock-up with the draw,as there was meant to be 5 on The Rail,6 on The Square and 6 on Keepers. Somehow extra pegs were added on The Rail and 7 of us ended up on there,with only 4 on The Square. As league leader Richard Allin had drawn there and had a whole bank to himself I feared the worst,especially as I had him in the semi final of the knock-out. Top angler Phil James got in his car and went home after drawing Rail 10 which speaks volumes for what it's been like of late. I got to my peg and tried to be upbeat but knew I was in for a real struggle and didn't really expect a bite to be honest.













Nonetheless I had to try and get good section points as I was lying in second place going into this round. To cut a long story short I caught 6 fish for 2oz (mainly small stuff!) for joint second in the section. One guy had 2 carp for 4lb,two of us had 2oz and everyone else blanked. Last year's league winner Andy Shanks drew Rail 2 and fished bloodworm and joker all day without a bite which gives you an idea of how tough it was. I was quite pleased to come away with 2 points as it keeps me near the top of the league but unfortunately Richard put me out of the knock-out with a section winning 2lb 3oz from The Square. All in all a tough day but atleast I didn't blank and come away with 9 points like some people did!

No comments: