Monday 11 May 2009

Whinwhistle Summer League- Round 1: 10/5/09

Sunday saw the first round of the Summer League at Whinwhistle Fishery. After coming 3rd in last years series largely due to missing a round through holiday I was looking forward to this years. The format is 1 section of 15 anglers to be fished across the lakes between May and August. I arrived at the venue at around 7.30am and after having a breakfast, paying my entrance fee and pools I was ready for the draw. The two pegs I, and everyone else really fancied were peg 3 and the out and out flyer- peg 8. I really wanted to avoid pegs 9 & 10 as you had very limited options and a frame place would be very difficult. My drawing arm has completely deserted me in recent months so I decided a change was in order. I went in to the bag with my left hand, pulled out the first peg I touched, turned the coin over and saw......W8. That'll do! To be honest I fully expected to win from the peg as it always holds carp and with a target weight of just 20lb the peg is always worth atleast that. As you can see in the pictures there is a large bed of lilly pads at around 13m slightly to the right and an inlet at around 10m to the right.























Although it is an out-and-out carp peg I decided to cover my options as it was a league match where section points were important. Firstly I set up a rig for fishing at 13m to the edge of the lilly pads where I had around 4ft of water. This was a 4x12 Scone Jubleez on 0.18 to a size 3 Tubertini 175 matched to red j-range elastic. The 2nd rig was for the inside to my right where there was a round 2 and a half ft of water. This rig was a 4x10 Scone Jubleez- 0.18 to a size 3 Tubertini 175. This rig was set to orange wilkie hollow. I also set up a skimmer rig for 8m straight in front but hoped I wouldnt have to use it. Finally I set up a 4x10 Chianti on 0.12- doubled 5 slip set at 12 inches deep for fishing shallow maggot to the pads if it was a struggle. To my left on duff peg 9 was Andy Shanks and to his left on peg 10 was Phil James. Both anglers do well at the venue so in terms of the league I was glad to see them sat on pretty poor pegs. For bait I had two tins of corn, a tin of 8mm meat, a few pellets and half a pint of maggots.

The all-in was called at 10am and I fed a pinch of pellet and corn at 13m,a full pot of corn down the edge and a ball of micro's at 8m. I started off on 6mm expander to the pads and a few quick bite's resulted in a couple of 2oz skimmers,including one hooked up the backside- not what I was after. I cupped another decent pinch of bait in and went back over the top. At this point Andy to my left hooked a carp and as he was playing it I had a sail away bite and did exactly what I didn't want to do in this peg- foul-hooked a lump. The fish absolutely tore off to my left before coming back and tearing down to the right. I had no control over it and after completely bottoming out the elastic the rig was broke at the connector knot. Not only had I lost the fish I had also lost one of my treasured Scone Jubleez- leaving me with just three. I cupped in a bit more corn but no pellet as I felt this would reduce the chance of foulhooking fish. I went back on the long line and after 5 minute's had a tench of around 1.5lb. I went straight back out and after around 20 minute's the float disapeared and a lift was met with firm resistance. Fortunately the fish swam into the open water and after around 10 minute's I slipped the net under a decent fish that I estimated at around 10lb. I re-fed with a half a cup of corn and tried down the edge without success so re-fed with another pot of corn. Back on the long line and after 5 minute's or so another postive bite resulted in a small carp of around 2lb. I then went an hour without a sign so re-fed and picked up the shallow maggot rig and shipped out to the pads. A few 1/2oz rudd weren't what I was after and although I started to pick up a few dumpy 2-3oz roach I knew I wouldn't put any weight together at that sort of distance. I got out a shorter rig set at 4 inches with an over shotted drennan carp 4 float. I flicked out a few maggots,went over the top with the sunken rig and a second or two later the elastic was ripped out of the pole as a decent 10oz roach hooked itself. I then had a run of these better 6-10oz fish and as no-one was really catching I was happy to keep adding weight to the net. I put around 6lb in the net during this hour which was about equal to a carp so worth doing. With 90 minute's to go it was back on the long line where a bite on meat resulted in another carp,again small at around 2lb. After 10 biteless minute's I re-fed with half a pot of corn and a few minute's later hit a fish that tore through the middle of the pads before I could stop it and another rig, and another Scone Jubleez was lost. After much cursing I put some more feed in and set up another rig. I couldn't buy a bite but decided to stick with it and ignore the silvers even though I was winning the section. With 40 minute's to go I dropped in down the edge and after a few minute's the float flew under and I struck. The fish boiled on the surface and before I knew what was going on it had tore off around 20m to my right into one set of pads before tearing around into the other set. I have never had a fish run off like that and eventually the rig pinged back with a straightened Tubertini 175.

The last 30 minute's were biteless on both lines and although I was pretty sure I had won the section I was a bit disapointed as I felt the peg was worth more and I should have added more to the weight tally. My clicker told me I had 21lb although I couldn't be sure because of the silvers. When the scales got to me 18lb was top weight. My silvers net went 7lb dead before the big carp was weighed in at 10lb 12oz. The two smaller one's brought the overall totall to 22lb exactly. Andy on peg 9 fished an abosulte blinder to weigh 13lb odd for fourth overall. To be fair he fished a very good match and I wouldn't of expected a result like that from that peg. There were then a few more mid teen weights but nothing more than 13lb meaning as expected I had won the section.

It was quite strange as although I'd won and got the series off to a good start I felt quite deflated at the thought that I should have caught more. The league is often decided by weight countback so I just hope those lost fish don't come back to cost me overall. Still, with a pick-up of £65 and a 1-point score on the board it wasn't a bad day, the worst part was losing two Scone floats!

No comments: